Thursday, May 27, 2010

Online Relationships

I am tired and wired
as the frayed fabric cord
of a toaster my grandmother
kept using, despite the cries
of "FIRE, FIRE" every time a slice
of her homebaked bread
went into the oven a second time.

Our planned meeting date,
at first so safely curled in the cozy
nest of the distant future,
now approaches with the speed
of glaciation, as tomorrow torture
drips into yesterday, and the day after
that becomes lost
as a forgotten coronation.

With every email, each phone contact,
my elevator makes an express trip
to the top of the Expectations Building.
The view from there is stupendous,
but where is the Down button,
the floors in between,
is the window the only exit?

I'm searching for the stairwell,
that drab spiral of concrete and metal,
where hoarse breaths echo and clang,
where landings give pause, and doors
open onto law offices
and insurance companies,
and pert receptionists ready to help.

I know myself well enough by now--
a life's practice of introspection
and second-guessing. I know just what to do.
I'll march past the dreary Stairs sign,
past the smirking receptionist,
I'll run, yelling, "Hold the elevator!
Hold the elevator!"

2 comments:

sing4u said...

I love it! Oh my! Om I!

Unknown said...

Do I hear an announcement coming? I hope happy for you.