Friday, June 11, 2010

Packing a Life Into Paper Bags

As I cleaning out closets,
I think about death--
how personal
yet anonymous
our clothes are.
How they evoke the  seasons,
our hard work and simple leisure,
the photographable days and the time
that slips by in an increasing blur.

Shoes, especially,
warp and wear so differently
that I wonder who buys
our shed soles at the resale shop?
Who walks that mile in our ill-fitting
mocs when we leave them behind?

It is my own death I'm celebrating
today, a death of outfits
from one life, and the demise
of garb from another, moving on.
Several small deaths I pack
into bags and donate
so that others can dress in them,
make entirely different lives
of them. Maybe I'll see someone
wearing that shirt I loved,
and for a moment I'll think I
must know them.

I wonder, too, if I'll do this again
for someone else, packing the clothes
I loved seeing them wear, that nubby
sweater I wept on, the button I replaced,
the pants whose pockets I picked
every laundry day. I wonder who
will do this for me, when my clothes
outlive me, and go on to live other lives,
as unknowing as the four-eyed buttons
joining one side to another.

2 comments:

sing4u said...

How poignant. And prolific!

Unknown said...

Lee, you continue to expand your horizons. Your work is incredible. You can take something as everyday as putting on shoes and make it a miracle.