Friday, April 16, 2010

Jergens Lotion

I remember riding in the car,
dad driving, mom shotgun,
me in back, windows open,
hair blowing,
smelling Jergens lotion.

My mom had Jergens
at home, but I don't remember
ever smelling it there.
I remember dense green rows
of corn whizzing past,
the smell of Jergens lotion.

Brown stalks beheaded,
a snail crawl in the car
hunting for pheasants,
the scent of gun oil,
smelling Jergens lotion.

Drive-in theatre,
speaker hanging on the glass,
popcorn smells weaving
car doors slamming,
kids screaming,
the smell of Jergens lotion.

Maybe I didn't need any lotion
when I was a kid, I never had my own,
but I always knew
that when I grew up
to be a grown woman,
I'd use Jergens lotion.

Note: today's prompt was to write about a smell and a memory. I'm not done with this poem, but the day is nearly over, so I'll come back to this one.

No comments: